How Not to Build a Compost Heap

When I pulled all my stuff off the allotment, I brought home a big compost bin that I’d bought and put there. Today we finally got round to assembling it in the garden, alongside our existing heaps, and I have to say, we definitely hadn’t thought it out properly.

First off, there’s a distinct lack of space in that corner. We had 5 compost heaps in situ, at various stages of composting, and the only available space was between two lilac bushes. All very well, but we’d already tossed a fair old heap of rubbish in that spot already!

So, the first job was to assemble the rear half of the bin – it’s one of these sectional plastic affairs – and then put it behind the rubbish heap, then move the rest of the heap into position within the bin before we could assemble the front half. Ducking and weaving around the lilics, we got the three lower and three upper rear panels of the bin in place and started forking the muck into position.

I nearly stabbed a hibernating toad in the course of this, which was a very lucky escape for Toady! I’m pretty sure it’s the same toad we’d seen around that corner of the garden last summer – quite a large, brown toad. Anyway, she just missed being impaled and I picked her up and popped her (probably her, she’s a big toad and females are bigger) into the area of the new compost bin, then reburied her carefully to continue her winter snooze. Hopefully she’ll settle back down and when spring comes, she’ll be ready to come out and scoff insect pests in the garden again.

Having succesfully avoided amphibian assassination and moved the heap into position, we then built the front half of the bin and filled in around the edges (inside) with the cleanings of the hen run from yesterday. I’ll continue filling up with rabbit cleanings.

It would have been much simpler and quicker if we’d had clear ground to build on, though!

It’s been a quiet time otherwise – too much ice and frost to do much work on the land. The bunnies continue ticking along, although Silver has (again) managed to pull a muscle in his right hind leg, the prat, and has been moved to a different cage and confined to it until he’s healed up. The two young female rexes who were in that cage are now in his old cage and their brothers, in one of my huge cages, are just beginning to moult, so should be in the freezer in a couple of weeks, as soon as they’ve finished moulting. The ten NZW youngsters will be ready about then, too.

My FAC application is now submitted and today I drilled four big holes in the wall, to bolt the cabinet securely in place. I don’t know what the walls of this house are made of but it seemed inordinately hard! I had to stop several times for the drill and drill bit to cool down. I have a socket that fits the bolts, but not the connecting doofer to attach it to the drill, so on Monday I’ll be in our local DIY place finding something to do the job and then the cabinet will be ready for inspection by the police in due course.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s